The Milton Stern Scholars Fund
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is a scholarship program that honors Milton Stern’s memory, professionalism, and contributions to the financial planning profession under the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning.
Milt was a strong proponent of the competencies and ethical standards embodied in the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification. He was a champion of education, of diversity, and of always following your dreams. After his untimely death in the summer of 2015, Milt’s family and colleagues made a conscious decision to honor his life and continue his legacy of making a difference in people’s lives through the creation of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund.
About the Scholarship
The purpose of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund is to offer scholarships for students seeking to complete a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program that qualifies them to take the CFP® exam. The fund was established pursuant to an agreement between the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., the family of Milton Stern and Bridgewater Advisors, Inc.
- Must be a resident of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut;
- Must possess an undergraduate degree;
- Must be enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program within 6 months;
- Demonstrated commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he wants to become a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional;
- Demonstrated financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he has a financial need for the scholarship;
- Must exhibit professionalism and dignity and demonstrate the ability to enhance and maintain the profession’s public image. Applicants that are selected to proceed to the final round of the application review process will be subject to a background check;
- Scholarships are awarded regardless of age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
There will be three award cycles in 2017. The deadline for the final award cycle was Friday, October 20, 2017. Submission dates for 2018 awards will be announced in January.
Applications will only be reviewed after official transcript is received. Please send official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-379-2236 for mailing instructions.
How to Donate
If you would like to make a difference in someone’s life by supporting the Milton Stern Scholars Fund, please complete the Milton Stern Scholars Fund Donation Form, or contact Rochelle Zeidman, Managing Director of Development, CFP Board , at rzeidman@CFPBoard.org or 202-379-2255.
Thank You to Our Donors
Center for Financial Planning and Bridgewater Advisors gratefully acknowledge the generous, visionary support for the MSSF from the following donors:
- Jim and Diane Berliner Family Fund
- Bridgewater Advisors Inc.
- David Fuchs
- Neil & Merryl Hackman
- Edd & Jean Hyde
- Barbara J. Leclerc
- Elaine Longer, Longer Investments Inc.
- Leo & Judy Marzen
- N and B Family Fund
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Matthew & Lauren Pelz
- Dina Pruzansky
- Mark Singer & Faith Xenos
- Marcia & Myron Stein
- Ann Thibodeau Charitable Fund
- Westmount Asset Management
- Rosalie J. Wolf