The Milton Stern Scholars Fund
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is a nationwide scholarship program that honors Milton Stern’s memory, professionalism, and contributions to the financial planning profession under the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning.
Milt was a strong proponent of the competencies and ethical standards embodied in the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification. He was a champion of education, of diversity, and of always following your dreams. After his untimely death in the summer of 2015, Milt’s family and colleagues made a conscious decision to honor his life and continue his legacy of making a difference in people’s lives through the creation of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund.
About the Scholarship
The purpose of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund is to offer scholarships for students seeking to complete a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program that qualifies them to take the CFP® exam. The fund was established pursuant to an agreement between the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., the family of Milton Stern and Bridgewater Advisors Inc.
- Must possess an undergraduate degree;
- Must be enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program within 6 months;
- Demonstrated commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he wants to become a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional;
- Demonstrated understanding of the fiduciary relationship, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain what being a fiduciary means to her or him;
- Demonstrated financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he has a financial need for the scholarship;
- Must exhibit professionalism and dignity and demonstrate the ability to enhance and maintain the profession’s public image. Applicants that are selected to proceed to the final round of the application review process will be subject to a background check;
- Scholarship recipients must be eligible to become a CFP® professional and will be required to provide documentation of certificate program costs prior to receiving their award;
- Scholarships are awarded regardless of age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
We will start accepting applications again for the Milton Stern Scholars Fund scholarship in October 2020.
Please note that applications will only be accepted through the online portal. Please do not attempt to submit application materials (other than official transcripts) via mail, fax or email. When submitting essays and application materials, please pay special attention to spelling, grammar and presentation.
Applications will only be reviewed after official transcript is received. Electronic transcripts must be issued from the school directly to Transcripts@CFPBoard.org. If an electronic option is not available, official sealed transcripts can be mailed to the following address: Attn: Transcript Processing CFP Board 1425 K Street NW #800, Washington, DC 20005.
How to Donate
If you would like to make a lasting impact in someone’s life by supporting the scholarship, please complete the scholarship donation form or donate online. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-379-2237.
Thank You to Our Donors
Center for Financial Planning and Bridgewater Advisors gratefully acknowledge the generous, visionary support for the MSSF from the following donors:
- Joel Beam
- Jim and Diane Berliner Family Fund
- Bridgewater Advisors Inc.
- David Fuchs
- Charles Grotyohann IV, CFP®
- Neil & Merryl Hackman
- Carl Herman, M.D.
- Edd & Jean Hyde
- Josefine Teneback Cays, CFP®
- Matthew Karpas
- Barbara J. Leclerc, CFP®
- Elaine Longer, Longer Investments Inc.
- The David & Lucile Packard Foundation
- Leo Marzen, CFP® & Judy Marzen
- The Milic Family
- Carol Moriel
- Matthew Pelz, CFP® & Lauren Pelz
- Milton Pickman
- Dina Pruzansky
- Myron Stein
- Ann Thibodeau
- The N and B Family Fund
- Rosalie Wolf
- Singer Xenos Wealth Management