The Milton Stern Scholars Fund
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is a scholarship program that honors Milton Stern’s memory, professionalism, and contributions to the financial planning profession under the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning.
Milt was a strong proponent of the competencies and ethical standards embodied in the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification. He was a champion of education, of diversity, and of always following your dreams. After his untimely death in the summer of 2015, Milt’s family and colleagues made a conscious decision to honor his life and continue his legacy of making a difference in people’s lives through the creation of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund.
About the Scholarship
The purpose of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund is to offer scholarships for students seeking to complete a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program that qualifies them to take the CFP® exam. The fund was established pursuant to an agreement between the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., the family of Milton Stern and Bridgewater Advisors, Inc.
- Resident of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut
- Must possess an undergraduate degree
- Enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board Registered certificate program within 6 months
- Awarded regardless of age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation
- Demonstrated commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted in the application process. Essay should be structured to elicit why candidate wants to become a Certified Financial Planner™ professional.
- Demonstrated financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted in the application process. Essay should be structured to elicit why candidate has a financial need for the scholarship.
How to Apply
There will be three award cycles in 2017. Applications will be accepted: February 13, June 16, and October 13. Applications will be reviewed after official transcript is received. Please send official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-379-2236 for mailing instructions.
How to Donate
If you would like to make a difference in someone’s life by supporting the Milton Stern Scholars Fund, please complete the Milton Stern Scholars Fund Donation Form, or contact Diane LaVigna, CFRE, Development Counsel, Center for Financial Planning, at dlavigna@CFPBoard.org or 202-379-2275.
Thank You to Our Donors
Center for Financial Planning and Bridgewater Advisors gratefully acknowledge the generous, visionary support for the MSSF from the following donors:
- Jim and Diane Berliner Family Fund
- Bridgewater Advisors Inc.
- David Fuchs
- Neil & Merryl Hackman
- Edd & Jean Hyde
- Barbara J. Leclerc
- Elaine Longer, Longer Investments Inc.
- Leo & Judy Marzen
- N and B Family Fund
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Matthew & Lauren Pelz
- Dina Pruzansky
- Mark Singer & Faith Xenos
- Marcia & Myron Stein
- Ann Thibodeau Charitable Fund
- Westmount Asset Management
- Rosalie J. Wolf