Apply for the Milton Stern Scholars Fund Scholarship
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is a nationwide scholarship program that honors Milton Stern’s memory, professionalism, and contributions to the financial planning profession under the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning.
About the Scholarship
The purpose of the Milton Stern Scholars Fund is to offer scholarships for students seeking to complete a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program that qualifies them to take the CFP® exam. The fund was established pursuant to an agreement between the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., the family of Milton Stern and Bridgewater Advisors Inc.
- Must possess an undergraduate degree;
- Must be enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program within 6 months;
- Demonstrated commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he wants to become a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional;
- Demonstrated understanding of the fiduciary relationship, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain what being a fiduciary means to her or him;
- Demonstrated financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he has a financial need for the scholarship;
- Must exhibit professionalism and dignity and demonstrate the ability to enhance and maintain the profession’s public image. Applicants that are selected to proceed to the final round of the application review process will be required to pass a background check;
- Scholarship recipients must be eligible to become a CFP® professional and will be required to provide documentation of certificate program costs prior to receiving their award;
- Scholarships are awarded regardless of age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Deadline for submissions was December 6, 2019. The application window has closed. We expect to announce awardees in mid-January, 2020. We will start accepting applications again for the Milton Stern Scholars Fund scholarship in October 2020.
Please note that applications will only be accepted through the online portal. Please do not attempt to submit application materials (other than official transcripts) via mail, fax or email.
When submitting application essays and materials, please pay close attention to spelling, grammar and presentation.